Spouse Visa Canada

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who has a foreign national spouse by marriage or by common-law or a foreign national conjugal partner, you can sponsor your spouse or partner to become a Canadian permanent resident.

Note: As of October 25, 2012 sponsored spouses or partners must now live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day they receive permanent residence status in Canada. If you are a spouse or partner being sponsored to come to Canada

This applies to you if

  • You are being sponsored by a permanent resident or Canadian citizen
  • You have been in a relationship for two years or less with your sponsor
  • You have no children in common
  • Your application was received on or after October 25, 2012
  • If your family member is a permanent resident, they can live, study and work in Canada.
  • Application form IMM 008
    There are more forms, if you have additional family or dependents along with you.
  • Schedule A which gives Background Declarations (Form IMM 5669).
  • Spouse/partner questionnaire (Form IMM 5285).
  • Passport pages, must be clear to read.
  • Birth Certificate of the applicant.
  • If there is a sponsor, then proof of relationship and proof of residential status in Canada.
  • Photocopy of Marriage Certificate.
  • Two photographs of applicant and also two photographs if there is dependent in the application too.
  • The sponsor in Canada, must provide the proof of income. Must provide the most recent taxation of themselves along with the income slips.
  • Lastly, but not the least there should be an envelope with the correct postage where Canadian High Commission can send the results back.
  • Make sure that you do not provide the original unless they are asked for, as all documents which are provided will not be returned as per the rules.