FAQ: Canada

Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All Canadian Universities offer four-year bachelor’s degree programs; most offer one to two years master’s degree and a number also offers doctoral or Ph.D. programs. Bachelor’s Degrees can be granted by Universities, some colleges and some Institutes in Canada. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. These colleges do not generally offer degree programs.

Yes, you can in certain circumstances. However, when applying for a student authorization, you must be able to prove to the visa officer that you have enough finances to support yourself for the entire length of your study program. International students can work on the University/College campus, whereas off-campus work is permitted only after 6 months. Full-time students can work in their institutions without the need for an employment authorization. International students can work up to 20 hours per week during their studies and 40 hours per week during vacation. They can earn approximately C$ 7 – C$ 10 per hour. Students can work full-time off campus during co-op terms and can earn approximately C$ 10 – C$ 15 per hour, amounting to C$ 400 to C$ 1,000 per month. You are allowed to work in Canada for 1 to 3 years after completing your academic program depending on the length of the program.

If your spouse or any dependent wants to work while in Canada, they must apply for their own work permit. Your Spouse Permit will be valid for the same period that you are authorized to study in Canada.

If you wish to extend your student authorization, you can do so within Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Centre at least 2 months before the expiry of your authorization.

A letter of introduction will be sent to you confirming the approval. This letter is not your study permit. Bring the letter of introduction with you to show to immigration officials at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada.

When you arrive in Canada, the immigration officer at the port of entry will determine whether you may enter Canada and how long you may stay. You must leave Canada on or before the date set by the immigration officer or have your status extended by an immigration officer in Canada.

Foreign students can work in Canada during their studies, and after they graduate. In most cases, you will need to apply for one of the student-related work permits, which are required if you want to work in a co-op/internship placement, off campus, or after graduating from your studies (Post-Graduation Work Permit Program).

Students have an authorization for working twenty hours per week, off campus when classes are in session and full-time during scheduled breaks/vacation.


You should have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.

You must provide substantial proofs featuring that you have enough money to pay for your:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living expenses for yourself and any family members accompanying you to Canada and Return transportation for yourself and any family members who accompany you to Canada.
  • You may have to provide a police certificate to prove that you do not have any criminal record and are a law-abiding citizen. You should not be a risk to the security of Canada.
  • You are to be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer about your leaving Canada after completing your studies.

You ought to have a letter of acceptance from a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada before applying for a study permit. Generally, you should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. You can apply at the Canadian visa office responsible for your country.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

  • A valid passport or travel documents
  • A valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada
  • A valid temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa.

If you are a citizen of a designated country and you travel to a country other than the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, you require a multiple-entry visa to re-enter Canada. If your temporary resident visa has expired or if your visa was only valid for a single entry, you must re-apply for a temporary resident visa at a Canadian visa office outside Canada before you can re-enter Canada.

You must pay a processing fee with your application. The fee will not be refunded, even if your application is refused.

You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province and sometimes from university to university within each province. International students planning to study in Canada are often required to arrange for private medical coverage through private insurance companies.

Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All 93-member universities of AUCC offer three or four-year bachelor degree programs; most offer one to 2-year master’s degrees and a number also offer doctoral or Ph.D. programs. Some universities are called colleges, and a few are called institutes, university colleges, or schools. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. Community colleges do not generally offer degree programs.

Colleges offer a wide variety of Career-oriented programs like Advance Diplomas/ Diplomas/ Certificates. These programs are specially designed to give students the opportunity to learn and develop many marketable skills in their preferred career. It emphasizes on the technical aspects providing hands-on experience and fundamentals of the program. These programs give the students a practical background that employers demand and help they get jobs easily. It may often happen that students who have completed a vocational program may get better jobs/salaries than those who have studied in a University Degree Program

Students may work up to one-year if they have completed a one-year program and up to 3 years if they have completed 2 years or more programs.

The New Canadian Study Permit pilot project for selected Community Colleges/ universities is called the Student Partnership Program (SPP) and its objective is to streamline the application process and give priority to SPP applications, to improve the time it takes to properly process and assess application(14 days) and to dramatically improve the overall approval rates of Canadian Study Permit. This scheme only applies to those who are submitting applications to either the Delhi or Chandigarh Canadian High Commission for Study Permits.

The student Partners Program was created by Canadian High Commission offices in Delhi and Chandigarh in order to speed up visa processing & reduce the number of documents needed to assess visa/Study Permit applications for a certain category of students admitted to select Colleges/Universities.

The applicant will normally receive an approval in- principle and medical instructions, a refusal letter or call for the interview, within 2 weeks of application. Once the applicant undergoes their medical examination & provides their passport, the Study Permit will normally be issued within one week.

Only students who are admitted unconditionally (submitted valid IELTS results with a minimum of 6 scores) into a post-secondary program and those willing to apply for an Education loan from one of the approved Banks, can be processed for their visa/Study Permit through this program.

No, there are no additional fees for this Program. You will need to pay regular visa processing fees in a manner specified by the CHC office where are you applying (Delhi or Chandigarh).

The student can still be considered for admission to the selected College/ University and can apply for visa / Study Permit through the regular visa stream. However, the student cannot be considered for the expedited processing through the Student Partnership Program. CHC will only accept valid IELTS Score with the minimum of 6 scores.

No, however, if the student is accepted by the college, the student can still apply for a visa/Study Permit through the regular processing stream. The student cannot apply under the SPP.

Yes. CHC will ask the student to state whether he has received assistance from a consultant. Failure to report this information may result in the rejection of visa.

The College/ University will send information along with the offer pack. Success provides a wide range of services for studying in Canada.

Looking for a First-Class Business Consultant?